Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sickies Part II

I begged in my previous post for the sickies to stay away…they are obviously disobedient!  Our sicky adventures started with Matt having a cold, then Emma suffering a 3 day bought with strep and then we had 3 days to recover before Aidan hyper-extended his leg rendering him unable to walk for 3 days.  I think it was about a week later that Aidan developed a nasty cough.  Croup was the diagnosis.  So, we treated him with steamy showers, humidifier, vaporizer, VICKS, all that good stuff.  A week and a half later Aidan refuses dinner on Wednesday night and I notice he’s drooooooling a lot.  A fever check was 99.6.  Then I receive a call from my sister saying that her son & some of her day care kids had been exposed to Hand, Foot and Mouth. 

So, I check Aidan’s mouth and he has sores!! AHHH!!  Wednesday night he had a hard time sleeping.  He & I ended up on the floor of his room.  So I called the Dr. Thurs. and as I figured there wasn’t much they could do.  Just tylenol/motrin for the discomfort.  This is how Thursday AM began…


with a popsicle breakfast, followed by a popsicle brunch, ice cream snack and pudding lunch.  By Thursday evening he stopped eating and drinking all together. Thursday night consisted of him waking every 10-15 minutes crying in agony as we tried to “sleep” on the couch.  There was one point he requested to go to his bed…Thank GOD!  So, I got in my bed about 1:26 a.m. to be beckoned by Aidan at 1:35 a.m.!!! 

Friday AM, after 2 nights with little to no sleep, we headed into the Dr. as his throat was hurting really bad. They ran a strep test which came back negative. Dr. didn’t think it was HFMD as the sores were only in his mouth and not anywhere else on his body.  They told us to come back next week to test for mono if we wish although there’s no treatment for mono.  Yea, I wanna hold down a 2 tear old to get blood only to be told “yep,mono go home & it’ll eventually get better”. 

By Friday afternoon I became concerned as his tongue started swelling and was still refusing all foods and liquids nearing 24 hours with nothing to eat or drink.  So, I headed into Immediate care.  The Dr. there agreed it probably wasn’t HFMD, and we knew it wasn’t strep.  She sent us home with a stronger pain med and instructions to return Sat. if something new developed as it was probably just a viral throat infection. Friday night went better if you consider only waking up to him screaming every 45 min better! :) 

Finally at 7 a.m. on Sat. he drank a cup of water!! Yeah!  On the road to…YUCK!  Up it all came!! GRRREAT!  Called Immediate care.  Instructions…keep trying to get him to drink, any more vomiting come in.  He passed out for 3 1/2 hours.  Best sleep he’d had since nap on Wed.  He stirred about 11:45, stood up ran to Emma and began playing like nothing had ever happened!?!?!? KIDS!!??? Will I ever figure them out!?

I feel so free now as Aidan was not much further away from me than this… 


Isaac gave me looks like this…”Mama hold me, I’m your baby”…


I’m looking forward to sleeping even a few hours in my bed…

**Before I could hit post on this…Emma wakes me last night saying her mouth hurts.  I find no signs of sores like Aidan & brush it off as a case of “contagious attention seeking” I’m no Dr. but my mothering degree is able to spot this illness.  Only to have her return home from school in tears saying her ear hurts.  She’s only had a couple ear infections in her life, but are typically baaad.  So, when Isaac is done eating we’re off to the Dr. with Emma…


Powered by Blogger.