Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Under the Knife x2

We had to add two things to our “Summer Fun” list. Notice the word “HAD”.  They weren’t necessarily planned, but necessary I suppose.

On Tuesday, July 19th I took Isaac into the ENT for a check on his ears.  He had tubes placed before we moved a year prior, but one ear still struggled and was blocked up with “gunk” that the Dr couldn’t determine if the tube was in, if it was working or if it was in fact in place just crusted over.  The Dr couldn’t do what was necessary in the office with Isaac awake, so we were scheduled for a 2nd ear tube surgery to sedate him and determine the course of action.

After his appointment I took the kids to get donuts, ran some errands and took them to ToysRUs to browse.  While shopping I remember a wave of yuck coming over me.  Kinda sick to my stomach.  NOT hungry and plain blah feeling.  By the time we got home I was cramping something fierce.  It was concentrated on my right side & I knew that could mean appendix, but also felt it might be more female related.   I laid around all afternoon & evening.  Matt came home and tended to the kids & dinner.  I ate nothing, just didn’t feel like it and couldn’t walk standing straight up.

Wednesday I actually wasn’t as hunched over in pain, but decided I might ought to find a Dr. just in case things started to get worse.  Not Dr would see me THAT day b/c I was a new patient.  They could see me 3 weeks later.  Um…NO.  Finally found a Dr that would see me Friday AM.  I really thought I’d go to get referred to an OB thinking it was girly issues.  Since I was feeling a bit better I decided to try to push it a bit to test how I was feeling.  Took the 3 kids to the store for a few things.  Not too bad.

Went to Dr Friday AM.  Took all my energy and umph just to get showered & dressed for my appt. Matt took kids to breakfast.  Dr. scheduled a CT scan stat, but the CT office said it would take a day or two (stat=wait??) so I headed for home not sure what to do.  They said to go to ER if it got worse but it “appeared I wasn’t hurting too bad”. I did let the guy know that 2 days prior I couldn’t stand straight. Duh.

I was with in 3 miles of home when they called and told me to return as they had an opening.  During my CT scan Matt took the kids for lunch and was in a stall & hold pattern waiting for the results. They quickly came out handed me a CD with my CT images and said leave now for the ER.  Then it all came crashing down.  What to do with the kids?!?!  Should Matt just take them home & I’ll be on my own?!?  Being kinda a baby I wanted someone there with me.  After a few calls we got our neighborhood friend to watch the kids.  Matt arrived at the hospital shortly before they began prepping me for surgery. After about an hour in surgery the attempt at getting me to wake from sedation began.  I am sllllllooooow to wake up.  Guess I like me some sleepy time!!  Unfortunately since I didn’t get all woke up for dinner I couldn’t take pain meds except morphine through the IV. Whew…that stuff is whack!!  Not to mention a less than nice nurse in the night shoved it in my IV really fast causing some issue where from that point on all fluids (including saline) put in either of my 2 IVs burnt, stung & make-me-want-to-chop-my-hand-off pain. Ohmyowie!  I’d rather have labor pain, contractions, epidural & birth than relive my surgery & IV issues. To this day (2 months later) my wrist still aches and has a knot in it?!?

Recovery was slow moving and I ended up staying till Saturday.  I could have went home Friday, but the nurses agreed I didn’t look like someone ready to go home, and I felt I could have…but thought maybe should take another night to get rested.

A week later Isaac was scheduled for his ear surgery.  Thank goodness it timed out to be on the day Matt’s mom & my mom’s visit overlapped.  Leaving Matt to take Emma to church camp, Peggy watch Aidan and Mom & I to take Isaac.

He played cars & tried to put his bracelet on Mimi while we waited to be called back.

sept upload 017sept upload 014

In what seemed like minutes the Dr. came in to report that the left ear had the tube already falling out & his right tube in perfect shape.  The decision was made that another tube in the left ear would be best.  Thus both ears having tubes.  For now…the other tube is probably falling out soon. :)  

Isaac did SO well.  Even better than his first go around a year prior.  My biggest concern was coming out of sedation.  It went SO smooth.  He laid there with his eyes open, then mom picked him up and off we went.  None of the massive screaming & thrashing we had had the previous time.

I was so grateful that my mom came out.  She hadn’t even unpacked from her 2 weeks in Alaska before boarding a plane to come help…on her BDAY!!  Then a week after my surgery and a day before Isaac’s my mother in law came to help with the other kids & while Matt was out of town on business.  So thankful to those two mothers who help us out at a moments notice!!! Grand parents are grrrrreat!!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers