Convinced to save $ off to Hobby Lobby and Walmart we went. I purchased three rolls of coordinating ribbon (pink, green, pink/green stripe) and some wider (white) grosgrain ribbon by the yard. We also bought 2 bottles acrylic paint in colors to match our ribbon- in our case green and pink, along with a larger bottle white paint. We happened to find the "base" board with metal scroll top at Walmart- identical to the example I found online.
I started by deciding I wasn't going to hand paint Emma's name on the base. So I went to my supply of cardstock scraps and my trusty, best scrapbooking invention EVER- my Cricut! I cut Emma's name using scraps of green and pink papers. Letter faces in pink with green shadows.
After painting the base white Emma assisted me in painting the pink and green polkadots.
We then took the letters cut earlier and used ModPodge to adhere them to the base.
I then coated the entire base in 2 layers of ModgePog.
Next, I hot glued the lace and trim along the bottom edge. I questioned whether or not to add them, but Emma insisted. I then cut to length 3 pieces of the wider width white ribbon and 3 pieces of narrower colored ribbon. (Our colored ribbon was pink and a pink/green stripe) I layered the narrow ribbon on top of the wide ribbon then attached them both using my stable gun. I attached one set of layered ribbons to the center of the base and the other 2 on either side. I also used one of the coordinating ribbons (green) to make a hanger by tying the ribbon to the metal scroll work. I used that same ribbon to "finish" the tails of the ribbon lengths by hot gluing a strip of it around the bottom of the layered ribbon ends.
- ► 2011 (54)
- ► 2010 (84)
- ▼ June (8)